The wood of the red oak is used in furniture construction and as construction timber. Native to North America. Use also for stand-alone, afforestation and also as a street tree. Hard and industry-proof, drought-resistant, road salt-proof, tolerates urban climates. Particularly insensitive to chronic smoke acids.
The red oak is undemanding, grows on clay soils, even on light, dry soils, good growth performance in locations close to the groundwater.
- Height: 30 m high
- Crown: rounded, broadly spreading crown
- Trunk: diameter up to 100cm
- Roots: deep roots, in old age cardiac lower root system
- Blossom / fruit: single-sexed, yellow-green blossom, May-June blossom, fruits in several acorns, thick acorns, egg-shaped, 2-3 cm long, fruit cups with few stems, one third of the fruit is enclosed by the cup.
- Leaves / needles
- Alternately 10-20 cm long, elongated, deeply pointed lobes, dark green, in autumn a splendid scarlet red.
For inquiries about origin, please use ourcontact form.
|816 01||North German Lowlands|
|816 02||rest of Germany|